top of page

Auto Insurance Coverage for Motor Vehicle Accidents

All of our therapists are equipped to accept insurance for motor vehicle accidents (MVAs), and we handle the billing process directly with your insurance provider. Unlike private health insurance, auto insurance does not restrict you to specific networks, allowing you to choose any licensed provider without concerns about in-network or out-of-network status. With our direct billing system, there are no out-of-pocket costs for you – no copays or additional fees, apart from the rare auto insurance policy that has a deductible for medical care.

To initiate the process, simply book an MVA appointment. During the booking process, you will be prompted to complete an intake form, which will automatically transmit your insurance information to our office.

  • We recommend obtaining a referral for auto accident treatment, as it can help safeguard your claim and ensure timely payment for our therapists' services. A referral functions similarly to a prescription and can be obtained from a medical professional whom you visited following the accident. They can provide their own referral letter or use our form, ensuring it includes all required details:

  • The prescriber must be one of the following: physician (MD), nurse practitioner (NP, CRNP, ARNP), physician assistant (PA), Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), naturopath (ND), or chiropractor (DC).

  • The referral must specify a diagnosis that massage therapists are authorized to treat, such as a musculoskeletal condition identified with a CPT code beginning with M (e.g., "M25.551 - pain in right hip").

  • The referral should outline the prescribed number of treatment sessions and/or a designated time frame for the referral's validity. For example, it might specify "6 sessions of 60-90 minutes, with no expiration" or "twice weekly for 6 weeks."

Additionally, 90-minute sessions for MVAs are available only with an up-to-date written referral from your physician, chiropractor, or naturopath stating that 90-minute massage/manual therapy sessions are recommended and are medically necessary. These appointments cannot be booked online and must be arranged by phone or through your therapist with the appropriate referral.

Ensuring your referral contains this information will streamline the billing process and facilitate effective treatment. If you have any questions or require assistance with obtaining a referral, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team. We're here to help you navigate the process and access the care you need."

Referral Form

We recommend that you get a re-assessment and a new referral from one of the providers listed above every 4-8 weeks to keep your claim active. Please send us new referrals as you get them.

Types of Auto Accident Claims

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

The most common type of motor vehicle accident claim is personal injury protection, or PIP. Oregon auto insurance policies will cover massage therapy after a collision for drivers and passengers regardless of fault, or if you were a cyclist or pedestrian not at fault.

Oregon: Auto insurance plans are required to carry PIP.
Washington: Auto insurance plans carry PIP by default. Drivers may opt-out.

Oregon: Minimum $15,000 for medical treatment including massage therapy.
Washington: Minimum $10,000 for medical treatment including massage therapy.
Oregon: Lasts 2 years after the date of the car accident.
Washington: Lasts 3 years after the date of the car accident.
Oregon: Doctor’s referral not required (but we recommended getting one).
Washington: Doctor’s referral is required.
Oregon: You can use PIP and still sue/pursue a settlement from the at-fault driver's insurer.
Washington: You can use PIP and still sue/pursue a settlement from the at-fault driver’s insurer.

PIP is per-person. For example, if you were driving with a passenger, you get a $15,000 minimum claim, and your passenger gets a separate $15,000 minimum claim.

  • If you were driving your own car, your auto insurance will pay PIP.

  • If you were a passenger, the auto insurance of the owner of the car in which you were riding will pay PIP; after that money runs out, you can start a claim on your own auto insurance and get additional benefits.

  • If you were a pedestrian or cyclist, the at-fault driver's auto insurance company will pay PIP.

  • If you were injured by an uninsured driver, you can make a claim under your own auto insurance.

  • If you were a pedestrian or cyclist who is found to be at fault for the car accident, you will likely not get PIP benefits.

Using PIP benefits will not affect your auto insurance premium.

Bodily Injury settlement (BI)

Unlike PIP which is no-fault, a bodily injury claim is when an injured person pursues a settlement from the at-fault driver’s insurer.

If you have a BI settlement, chances are you also have a PIP claim open. When you fill out our intake, please be prepared to submit information for both.

bottom of page